This Page

has been moved to a new address

Beauty DIY: Create a Salon perfect Manicure at home (shown here with Zoya Sooki)

Just a moment please...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chic 'n Cheap Living: Beauty DIY: Create a Salon perfect Manicure at home (shown here with Zoya Sooki)

Chic 'n Cheap Living

Staying chic, living practically - design, inspiration, fashion, deals, and fun!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Beauty DIY: Create a Salon perfect Manicure at home (shown here with Zoya Sooki)

I didn't get my first manicure until I was about 26.

Crazy right?  I grew up playing piano so I always had short nails.  I never thought to shape them and paint them because any time they got a little long, I just had to trim them!

Flash forward a few years and I got my first manicure to celebrate a friend's wedding (those fingers better look good while carrying the bouquets!)  I really started loving the possibilites of different shades (now patterns as well).  Of course it helps that I can now grow my nails out and really get to shape them.  It is a great indulgence to get a manicure - just sit back, relax, and come out with beautiful nails that will last (hopefully) for a week.  

But I'm not necessarily patient about sitting in a beauty salon every week.  That and it can get a little costly.

I've discovered that it can be easy to create a great manicure at home (and I've started reviewing colors like Zoya Trixie and creating patterns too like my chevron reverse manicure).  You just need patience, some good TV shows (waiting for nail polish to dry is pretty boring), and a few tools.  I used Zoya Sooki for this manicure and love the bright red shade!

Here is how I create a salon style manicure (or pedicure) at home

1. Gather all my tools and colors.  I also keep a pointed stick handy - this is both for pushing back cuticles and cleaning.  If I need to clean up nail polish around the edges of my nails, I simply dip the stick into a little bit of nail polish remover and do some quick cleanup!

2. I push back my cuticles (for even shaping), buff, and apply lip balm to my cuticles so it is easier to remove color from the sides of my fingers (yes I do this with all my manicures now!)

3. I apply one coat of base coat - protect your nails from staining or absorbing the nail polish!

4. Then I apply one coat of color.  When you take your nail polish out of the bottle, get rid of excess polish by brushing it against the inside, upper rim of the bottle.  You don't want too much polish on the first coat!  Wait a few minutes and then repeat for extra color coverage.  Now it is time to pop on a TV show because the drying may take a while!

5.  Apply a top coat of your choice.  This ensures that your nail color won't easily chip.

6. Wait two minutes and as an optional step, apply a few drops of quick dry.  This cuts your drying by a few minutes, but more importantly may even out uneven nail polish and minimize bubbles.

That's it!  This is a nice Saturday ritual for me now and is a great way for me to play with more colors.   Try it and enjoy your new manicure!

Labels: , , , ,

31 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home