This Page

has been moved to a new address

London Oxford Street, bizarre Selfridge's windows, and why Italian friends who can cook rock

Just a moment please...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chic 'n Cheap Living: London Oxford Street, bizarre Selfridge's windows, and why Italian friends who can cook rock

Chic 'n Cheap Living

Staying chic, living practically - design, inspiration, fashion, deals, and fun!

Sunday, December 6, 2009

London Oxford Street, bizarre Selfridge's windows, and why Italian friends who can cook rock

Hello lovelies, another weekend over, another week starting up.

I have a pretty awesome weekend because I finished buying gifts for my family in Taiwan, FINALLY figured out how to package all these cookie favors (err just gotta test it out, stat and hope I can give you a semi-useful DIY), and had a lovely belated birthday dinner with some friends in London.

So I spent Saturday afternoon walking along Oxford Street (1 of the main shopping streets here).  The street was closed to car traffic and there were already 2 million people riding the underground so I was forced to walk an extra mile to catch a bus.  Yeah.

Oxford Street was insanely packed with shoppers.
This lighting display was SO London - yep it was rainy as usual.
 
But it was nice to see some of the department stores totally lit up.

Saw a elf on stilts.  Yep, totally normal.

Then of course the strangeness of the Selfridge's window displays.  I really don't travel around Europe catching weird window displays - it just happens.

First, somewhat normal display (and there were cute handbags in the sleigh)

Then the funkiness starts.  "Who's a Pretty boy then?"  Yes it's a cat with a feather boa and an enviable collection of shoes.

Puss in Boots and champagne.  Obviously.
Finally half-cow, half-milk maiden, all champagne.  Huh?
 
My friend said that there's a form of marketing that's geared towards creating shocking reactions from people.  In that way, they're very memorable and people talk about it because it's weird.  I believe the Selfridge's display definitely qualifies for this area of marketing.

But I am glad that I got to see some friends for a nice dinner later that night.  The restaurant was insanely popular and didn't take reservations.  I think they create an appetite for their food but making you wait so long.  But the food was pretty good.  Best part - my lovely Italian friend made tiramisu!  I don't always love tiramisu because I think there should be a good marscapone cheese to ladyfinger ratio and some places are just darn stingy.  I requested my friend's tiramisu for my birthday and he didn't disappoint (with help from another friend visiting from out of town)

 
Mmm, tasted amazing (looks kinda liquidy here) and everyone at the table agreed .   Wish I could have shared some with you too!

How were your weekends?

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home