This Page

has been moved to a new address

{Shopping} Tips: Proactively shopping to save and creating the ideal wardrobe

Just a moment please...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Chic 'n Cheap Living: {Shopping} Tips: Proactively shopping to save and creating the ideal wardrobe

Chic 'n Cheap Living

Staying chic, living practically - design, inspiration, fashion, deals, and fun!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

{Shopping} Tips: Proactively shopping to save and creating the ideal wardrobe

Planned shopping can help you save money.


Yes, writing a huge list of what you want to buy could actually end up saving you money.  Studies have shown that people who walk into grocery stores with shopping lists are more likely to stick to the ingredients they have written down and are less likely to be impulsive shoppers.  Why shouldn't this rule apply to shopping in other areas?


I've written a shopping list for the next three plus years (yep I'm a planner).  I will only buy things off this shopping list though some items are flexible (e.g. jewel tone work worthy shirt).


This strategy makes sense because:
1. Patience pays off
You can patiently look for an item that you want across a spectrum of retailers.  For example, an item on my wish list is a work-worthy top in a jewel-tone color.  I am receptive to different styles and price points while also building up a few favorites on my wish list.  I also have the luxury of waiting for these items to go on sale enabling my wallet to save for the next purchase (though hot or limited edition pieces don't follow this philosophy!)




I got my first pair of Lanvin flats for over 50% off (they are also on sale at Barney's and Neiman Marcus now!)  Hmm should I get a pink pair too?


2. Think with your closet (or home) in mind, not your wallet
I've fallen into the "Ooh it's on sale so I should get it!" trap without necessarily thinking if it would be a valuable part of my closet.  I won't be doing this any more.  When I constructed my list, I really thought about my wardrobe and lifestyle and constructed a list that reflects my needs without knowing if the item existed or not.   But I knew the item would make sense in my closet (e.g. a trendy midi skirt that would make sense at work for years to come.)


3. It's set, but not set in stone
My list started out as a list for the year, then for the next two years.  Now it's my three year list!  I don't think the timeframe is as relevant, but it is the list of all the stuff that I think would really add to my wardrobe pre-family planning.  I continually edit my list to add or subtract items that I think will really make an impact or would really fit with the rest of my closet.


Here's a subset of my list (the full one is long, but one I'm happy with).  What is on your ideal wardrobe list?

Apparel

X - super feminine or Mackage coat
- tweed jacket (classic-2)
X - tweed jacket (edgier)
- classic beige trench (hmm splurge at Burberry outlet in London or Zara version?)
- statement jacket (3)
- lace cardigan/jacket
X - lace skirt
X- semi-casual cardigan (Stacia? or DKNY Cozy -3)
- work worthy top (pink or coral)
- work worthy top (2-cream or black)
- work worthy top (jewel tone)
- work worthy top (2-interesting print)
X - work worthy top (neutral)
- printed cami/shirt (2)
X - white tank dress (2)
- white pencil skirt
- maxi skirt or dress (2)
XX- midi skirt (2)
- white or cream pants (wide or boot leg)
- tunic - casual and washable
- tunic - more formal
X - scalloped dress
- LBD (2)
- trouser jeans
XXX - work to weekend dress (5)
- nice t-shirt (2)
- quality leggings
- {in case of a vintage masterpiece} (3)
- {a great printed piece, maybe my coveted Missoni?}

Shoes
- staple black pumps (2)
- black low heels/sandals for night
- jewel tone pumps (fuchsia or cobalt blue)
- nude pumps (2-Pour La Victoire Irina?)
- everyday chic sandals (2)
X- Lanvin (or other quality brand) flats (3)
- print pumps
- gray or other neutral pumps


Handbags
 - vintage Chanels and Hermes Kellys (if I get the big promo) are on the list!

Labels: , ,

33 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home